Oil pulling. An ancient Ayurvedic ritual with incredible detoxifying effects.
Just needs to be called something else, right?!
Did you know that oil pulling can actually help kill off yeast, bad bacteria, parasites and viruses in the mouth, which in turn, stops them from causing further infections in the gut? Friggin’ brilliant!
I've been oil pulling on and off for the last few years and what I've personally noticed, is when it's a regular ritual, my teeth are soooo much whiter AND I have less plaque (as noted by my dentist recently!).
Other benefits when including this little ritual in your morning routine include:
- Clearer skin
- Healthier gums
- Fresher breath
- Clearer sinuses
- Improved lymphatic system
- Better sleep and increased energy
So how do I do it:
- When I first wake up Mon - Fri (I give myself the weekends off), and before eating and drinking anything.
- Place 1-2 teaspoons (others often say 1 tablespoon - but I personally find this too much) of organic coconut oil in your mouth. Swish around - pulling through your teeth - for 20 minutes.
- Spit the oil out into paper towel and place into the bin. Never down the sink as it can eventually clog pipes!
- Never swallow the oil as it will be now full of the bacteria we want rid of.
- Brush teeth thoroughly afterwards to remove any excess oil - I use a specific toothbrush for this (not my everyday electric toothbrush) and replace it regularly.
Most days I will also add a single drop of essential oil, depending on how I feel. I tend to swap between lemon and oregano (especially if I'm feeling a little run down as it’s good to note that oregano is a potent anti-fungal and anti-bacterial agent).
NOTE: When first starting out, I couldn't swish the oil any longer than 5 minutes before having to spit it out. Stay patient, as it does get much easier quite quickly.