It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of quinoa as it mixes and matches with just about everything I cook. It is a wonderful "starting off" point for so many recipes, as well as being filling, easy to digest and of course, delicious!
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge, and it will keep a little longer.
~ just a few of the benefits ~
- The only grain to contain all nine essential amino acids, making it a complete protein.
- It contains almost twice as much fibre as most other grains, which aids effective digestion, while helping to reduce high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Contains more protein than any grain – one serve provides 28% of your daily intake.
- Great source of iron, enabling the blood to carry oxygen around the body.
- Packed with magnesium and manganese, anti-inflammatory phytonutrients and heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, mostly in the form of oleic acid, which improves the digestive tracts ability to absorb nutrients, as well as lowering the risk of heart disease.
- High in B vitamins, zinc, potassium, calcium, fibre and vitamin E.
- Gives a slow release of energy making it a great alternative to rice and couscous.