My mum's birthday was back in January.
It took us until this past weekend to celebrate it all together.
Mind you, she's been celebrating with us individually in between, so she hasn't done too bad!
So for our little family get-together, I decided to make some celebratory cupcakes.....
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
125g butter, softened | 3/4 cup caster sugar | 2 tsp lemon zest | 3 eggs | 1 1/2 cups plain flour | 1 1/2 tsp baking powder | 1/4 cup milk |
for the lemon curd | 45g butter | 1/2 cup caster sugar | 1/4 cup lemon juice | 1 egg
for the meringue | 2 egg whites | 1/3 cup caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- To make the cupcakes, beat the butter, sugar, zest, flour, baking powder, eggs and milk in an electric mixer for approximately 4 minutes until light and smooth. Divide evenly between 12 muffin papers and bake for 18-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
For the curd
- melt butter over low heat, then add the juice, sugar and egg and stir until smooth. Continuously stir for approximately 5-7 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and place in the fridge until cold.
For the meringue -
- whisk egg whites until fluffy, slowly adding the sugar until thick and glossy.
- Cut 2cm holes in the centre of the cupcakes and fill with the curd. Pipe a meringue swirl on top of the curd and place under a hot grill for approximately 1 minute, or until golden.
I was originally introduced to these delightful little beauties by my friend Miss A who blew my taste buds away on first bite.
I have no idea if the recipe I have is the same one she uses, but then who really cares! When you mix cake with silky sweet lemon curd and a luscious topping of meringue, you really can't go wrong no matter which recipe you use.
Luckily for my family there was actually some lemon curd in their cupcakes because I could have eaten it all on its own!
Happy birthday mum.....again!