The colour White is associated with light, goodness, innocence, purity, and virginity. It is considered to be the colour of perfection, and is often associated with safety and cleanliness.
This makes me laugh out loud as I made this cake for my brother....innocence....yeah right!
The White Cake
(my recipe adapted from The Sweetest Occasion blog)
For the cake: 5 large organic egg whites | 1/2 cup/120mll whole milk | 2 1/2 cups/300g plain flour | 1 cup almond meal | 2 cups/450g caster sugar | 2 tsp baking powder | 1/2 teaspoon salt | 230g unsalted butter, room temperature | 1 1/2 cup/360ml coconut milk
For the cream cheese filling: 250g cream cheese, room temperature | 120 g unsalted butter, room temperature | 1 cup coconut flakes | 2 cups sifted icing sugar
For the buttercream: ¼ cup whole milk, room temperature | 375g unsalted butter, room temperature | 4 cups/500g icing sugar, sifted | 1 tsp pure vanilla extract | pinch of salt
For the ganache: 170 g white chocolate, chopped finely | 5 tablespoons thin cream |
- Preheat the oven to 180° and grease two 6-8 inch cake pans.
- Put the egg whites in a bowl and whisk until soft peaks. Add the 1/2 cup milk and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the flour, almonds, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the butter and coconut milk and combine on low speed until moistened. Increase speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the egg white mixture in 3 additions and mixing just long enough to incorporate between additions.
- Divide the batter among the prepared pans and bake for about 60 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool in their pans for 10 minutes, then turn them out onto cooling racks to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Filling
- Whisk the butter on high speed until fluffy. Add the cream cheese and sugar and keep mixing until well combined, mix in the coconut flakes. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip butter for 8 minutes on medium speed until pale and creamy.
- Add sifted icing sugar, vanilla, salt and milk and mix on low speed for 1 minute, then on medium for 6 minutes until very light, creamy and fluffy.
White Chocolate Ganache
- Over medium heat, heat up cream until just before boiling point. Add chopped chocolate and whisk until smooth. Set aside to firm up.
- Cut both cakes in 2 even layers and put the first layer on your cake stand, Spread 1/3 of the coconut cream cheese filling on top and cover with the second layer of cake. Repeat this with the remaining 3 layers.
- Once your cake is assembled, you need to crumb coat it before you cover it in frosting. This is necessary ensure no cake crumbs work their way to the surface of your frosting. It pretty much just means applying a thin layer of buttercream on the entire cake. Let the cake cool for at least 30 minutes in your fridge.