Breakfast. I'm frustrated as hell.
I'm bored out of my brain with toast and lately I just haven't been able to stomach the heavy creaminess of yoghurt and porridge. All I crave is fresh vegetables. Fresh green vegetables to be precise.
I've just recently started struggling with my breakfast - this is something I've never experienced before as it's my all time favourite meal of the day, but trying to come up with new quick, fresh ideas has me completely stumped.
Having made this little soup on the morning of New Years Eve ready to take with me as a starter to our evening feast, I found myself happily slurping it down for breakfast. I couldn't get enough of it. The fresh zing of the lemon, and the cool smoothness of the avocado and cucumber had me sighing in utter contentment.
Who said you couldn't have soup for breakfast?!
Chilled Green Goddess Soup
(recipe adapted from Eat Your Way to Good Health by Lee Holmes)
1 small Lebanese cucumber | 1 ½ - 2 avocados | 1 large handful of coriander | juice of ½ - 1 lemon or lime (I like lots) | good pinch of sea salt | 500ml organic vegetable or chicken stock | thinly sliced spring onions and coriander to serve
- Peel and deseed the cucumber, roughly chop and place in blender along with the
- flesh of the avocados.
- Add the coriander, cumin, lemon/lime juice salt and and a splash of the stock. Blend until pureed.
- Pour in the remaining stock and blend again until smooth, adding more stock or a little water to thin to your liking. Taste for seasoning, or perhaps add a little more lemon/lime juice.
- Place the soup in an air-tight container and pop in the refrigerator until well chilled.
- Serve garnished with the spring onions and some coriander leaves.
Oh yes...it also made a great addition to our wonderful New Year's feast filled to the brim with real food that had our bodies calling out "
thank you, thank you, thank you!