The date was Sunday 11th January.
The date my love for all things French spills out in truck loads. The date where I don't have to apologies for myself because I'm completely surrounded by the same like-minded people. I like to think of them as "my" people. We have a kinship...of sorts.
Well... we do in my head anyway....It was the date So Frenchy So Chic came once again to the beautiful gardens of Werribee Mansion.
We munched the day away on the most succulent ricotta stuffed chicken, a summer veggie tart and delicious salads of beans, beetroot and feta as well as my roasted pumpkin picnic salad.
Not to mention the exquisite pistachio cake, the melt in your mouth sugar-free lemon and coconut balls, and the cheese.....oh my, the cheese.
Roast Pumpkin Picnic Salad
1/2 butternut pumpkin, chopped into large chunks | olive oil | sea salt + pepper | 1/2 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved | large handful of rocket | 1 fresh mozzarella ball | juice of a lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (400F).
- Place the pumpkin into a baking dish and drizzle over a little olive oil and a good pinch of sea salt and cracked pepper - toss to coat all over. Place in the oven and cook for approximately 30-40 minutes until soft and slight burnished on the edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile make the dressing by combining in a small screw top lid jar, the juice of a lemon, olive oil (I use about half the amount of lemon juice) and a really good pinch of sea salt (at least 1 heaped teaspoon). Give a good shake and taste. I like it to taste very lemony and a little over-salted as the pumpkin and cheese will mellow out the taste once the salad is dressed.
- Once the pumpkin is completely cooled, place into the bottom of a container and top with the cherry tomatoes, the mozzarella (torn up into bite sized pieces) and the rocket. Place the little dressing jar also in the container and pop the lid on top and your ready to go.
- Dress the salad and give it a good toss when you're ready to serve.