Say hello to Claire!
Claire is a fellow Aussie, living north of me up in sunny Brisbane. She is wife to Will and mother to Ollie. She has a farmer's market within walking distance of her home (very jealous!) and is the very talented lady behind one of the most beautiful blogs around, Claire K Creations, a space where she shares delicious recipes, restaurant reviews and beautiful photography....amongst other little tidbits.
It also happens to be Easter Monday over here in Australia today, so to celebrate this chocolate holiday, I found a delicious recipe that I've be indulging in over the Easter break....no guilt attached.....
Chocolate Quinoa Balls
(see Claire K Creations original recipe here)
1/4 cup uncooked quinoa | 1 tbsp organic peanut butter | 2 tbsp rice malt syrup (or raw honey) | 1 tbsp raw cacao powder | 1/2 cup wheat free oats
- Rinse the quinoa then place in a pot with ½ a cup of water and bring to the boil. T
- urn the heat to low and let it simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until the water has evaporated and the quinoa is soft.
- Remove from the heat into a bowl and refrigerate until cool.
- Once cooled, remove from fridge and mix in the remaining ingredients. If it's a little wet you may need to add a some extra oats.
- Roll into balls and refrigerate until you're ready to eat.
I did tweak Claire's recipe slightly for my own dietary requirements - using rice malt syrup instead of honey and using raw cacao powder instead of cocoa powder. I also used wheat-free oats (just because that's what was in my cupboard).
The end result certainly wouldn't be as sweet as Claire's version, but that suited my taste buds perfectly. It's also a much softer texture than some of the seed/nut ball recipes out there, so I kept mine in the freezer. Made it a lot slower process to eat which is a very good thing, as I could have possibly eaten all of these in the one sitting...oops!