Did you know there are 2 main types - hulled and unhulled.
I personally always choose unhulled tahini, as it is made from the whole sesame seed, leaving its nutritional value intact.
5 healthy facts about tahini
- A great source of unsaturated fat – add to your smoothies and protein balls or use as a dressing over salads and vegetables
- It's one of the best sources of calcium
- A higher protein source than most nuts and seeds as it has 20% complete protein – helping to keep you satiated for longer
- Can help aid liver detoxification as sesame is a good source of Methionine
- It’s rich in minerals such as phosphorus, magnesium, potassium and iron, and a good source of amino acids, vitamin E and many of the B vitamins
One of my favourite ways of including this wonder food in my daily life (since re-introducing seeds into my AIP diet) . . .
Winter Tahini Dressing
2 heaped tbsp organic unhulled tahini | ½ cup olive oil | Juice of a lemon | 1 clove garlic, minced or ½ tsp garlic powder | Himalayan salt
Combine the tahini, olive oil, lemon juice and garlic in a bowl and whisk until combined. The mixture will be very thick, so slowly drizzle in filtered water whilst still whisking until desired consistency is reached. Add a good pinch of salt, to taste.
Will store well in the fridge in a sealed jar for a week - just thin slightly with filtered water when you want to serve.