I'm sharing with you today a super simple basic granola recipe that you can adapt with anything you might find hiding in your pantry. The perfect recipe to use up any of those pesky little bits of nuts and seeds left lying around.. Feel free to use any nuts and seeds you have on hand, or even oats (or quinoa flakes if you want to keep it gluten free). You could even add your favourtie dried fruits to the mix, but remember that these will add sugar (and fructose).
Personally I'm not a cereal eater (apart from a piping hot bowl of porridge), and the granola I see sitting on supermarket shelves, shouting out the word "health" often make me laugh out loud as the ingredients listed on the back will more often than not show they're chock full of sugars (and often more than one type), not to mention filled with bad fats and preservatives.
Never fear with this recipe, it keeps for a few weeks in an airtight container and you'll be filling your body up on so many vitamins and minerals it will be singing from the rooftop. That's not even including the benefits coconut oil will be doing to your immune system at the same time (see more about coconut oil here)
(gluten, fructose and refined-sugar free)
2 cups of mixed nuts and seeds (I used a combination of pepitas, sunflower seeds, brazil nuts, walnuts, sesame seeds and chia seeds) | large handful of coconut flakes | 2 tbsp cacao nibs | 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon | good pinch sea salt + good grind of pepper | 2 tbsp coconut oil | 1 tbsp rice malt syrup | 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160C (325F).
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine the coconut oil, rice malt syrup and vanilla extract in a small saucepan and gently heat until liquefied. Pour liquid over the dry ingredients and toss to coat. Spread the mixture evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes or until golden, stirring the mixture about every 15 minutes to make sure it is evenly baked.
- Let the granola cool completely (it will become crunchier as it sits) and when completely cool, store in an airtight container for a few weeks.
- Serve with your choice of yoghurt, milk and/or fruit.